KETO CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
This Chocolate Mug Cake bakes up soft, fudge like and delicious in just one minute in your microwave with simple pantry staples. It’s the perfect low carb, paleo, vegan cake that will satisfy any sweet tooth craving and still meet all Keto diet requirements!
Does it happen to you? Craving something sweet but you don’t feel like making a whole chocolate cake? This vegan chocolate mug cake recipe is ready in 5 minutes using ingredients that you likely have in your pantry. It’s gluten free, low carb, sugar free and the perfect healthy chocolate cake recipe to have on regular rotation.
SO WHAT IS A CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE?
Chocolate mug cakes are what I call chocolate cake in a mug. They are a single-serving cake. The quickest and easiest dessert you can make when you want chocolate cake in a moment.
They are perfect for any sweet occasion such as Valentine’s Day or when you have unexpected friends coming or maybe when you are craving something sweet after dinner and don’t want to bake an entire cake.
What mug size to use:
You want to use a large (14 oz) mug or (12 oz) ramekin to prevent overflowing as the cake will rise quite high during cooking before sinking back down.
TIPS to get best results for this MUG CAKE:
- Mix the batter well until there are no clumps
- The cook time will vary according to your microwave – check after 50 seconds then pop it back in the microwave in 10 second increments if not done – do not overcook or the mug cake will be dry
- Lightly coat the mug or ramekin with ghee or baking spray if you decide to bake the mug cake in the oven.
Baking your mug cake in oven:
Follow these tips for best result:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all the ingredients together in a medium bowl or measuring cup.
- Transfer the batter to a large 12 oz ramekin. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Macros of one vegan keto chocolate mug cake:
- 280 calories
- 4g NET Carbs = 10g Total Carbs – 6g Fiber
- 14g Protein
- 18g Fat
- Vegan whipped cream
- Vegan vanilla ice cream
- Coconut whipped cream
- Cream cheese frosting
- strawberries: fresh or freeze-dried
- chopped nuts
- Santa Barbara Cacao nibs
- Santa Barbara Sugar free chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons nut butter, (use cashew butter/ peanut butter/ almond butter/ tahini or Sunbutter)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrupOR agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce, (can sub with pureed pumpkin OR mashed banana)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened plant based milk of choice, I prefer using almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons superfine almond flour
- 2/3 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1tbsp Santa Barbara vegan cocoa powder
- •3/4teaspoon Santa Barbara Vegan chocolate chips
- In a large (14 oz) heat-safe mug or (12-14 oz) ramekin, use a small fork or whisk to combine the cashew butter, maple syrup, applesauce, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the flour, cacao powder and baking powder until the batter is mixed together and has no clumps. Top with chocolate chips, if desired.
TO MAKE MUG CAKE IN THE MICROWAVE:
1. Place mug on a small plate (in case of spillage) and microwave for about 60-65 seconds. Check on the cake to see that it's done. (You may need to microwave for less or an additional 5-10 seconds depending on how powerful your microwave is.)
2. Serve with coconut whipped cream, melted chocolate, berries or chopped nuts.
TO MAKE MUG CAKE IN THE OVEN:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
Lightly coat a large 12 oz ramekin and transfer batter into the ramekin. Bake for 11-14 minutes or until cake is set.
The cook time will vary according to your microwave - check after 45 seconds then pop it back in the microwave in 10 second increments if not done - do not overcook or mug cake will be dry