Homemade Thin Mint Cookie Recipe
These homemade Thin Mints are a great way to enjoy the signature cookies year-round so you'll never have to wait until Girl Scout Cookie Season again!
If you've never heard of Thin Mints, they're just chocolate mint flavored crispy cookies covered in chocolate.
½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 ½ tsp peppermint extract
1 cup of flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp salt
Optional vegetable oil for shortening.
1. Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and peppermint extract.
2. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix into wet ingredients in two additions.
3. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 min to an hour or until dough is firm. If you refrigerate overnight, allow the dough to thaw for 10 minutes.
4. Roll out dough on floured work surface to 1/8" inch thick. Cut with desired cookie cutters (I used a flower cookie cutter and a 1.5" circle cookie cutter) and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Optional: Refrigerate cookies 15 minutes prior to baking to help them retain their shape.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350F or until tops of cookies look matte.
6. Don't touch the cookies, let them cool for about 5-6 min .
7. Meantime , melt the semi sweet chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave . Drizzle over warm cookies , place on wire racks or parchment paper and let cool and harden completely.
8. Chocolate can be melted in microwave or in double boiler on the stove , chocolate should always be melted uncovered and , we need the chocolate to be warm not hot ! Make sure that everything you use with the chocolate is clean and completely dry !I add s 1 tsp of vegetable oil to use as shortening to thin chocolate. Don't add in more than 2 T or else chocolate won't set!